Newly Qualified Teacher Programme
The Focus-Trust is committed to the continuing professional development of its entire staff and our Newly Qualified Teachers are highly valued. Academies within the Focus Academy Trust are exciting and challenging environments in which to begin your teaching career and our commitment to improving the quality of learning and teaching in our academies is reflected in ensuring excellent induction procedures for all new entrants into the teaching profession.
Effective induction will support you in giving your best to pupils, making a significant contribution to school improvement and raising the standards of pupil achievement.
Statutory Guidance for NQTs was introduced for 2013. This guidance and the Teachers’ Standards 2012 underpin the induction programme for NQTs to equip them with the tools to be an effective and successful teacher.
The Focus Trust’s key principles of commitment to induction for Newly Qualified Teachers
Each of the Focus Trust academies is committed to:
- Identifying and meeting the needs of each NQT, including negotiating objectives, which take account of any evaluations from the NQTs Initial Teacher Training course.
- Ensuring the NQT has access to a suitable range of professional support, guidance and advice, including the allocation of an induction tutor.
- Ensuring that the Induction Tutor is properly experienced and trained for their role.
- Making clear the roles, responsibilities and expectations.
- Reflecting the procedures and guidance, set out by the National Induction Panel for Teachers (NIPT), for monitoring, assessing and reporting on progress during the induction period.
- Providing access to a range of CPD opportunities.
- Ensuring regular meetings with key induction staff, especially the Induction Tutor.
- Providing a 10% reduction in the NQTs timetable (compared to standard scale staff).
- Providing regular, developmental feedback on the NQTs classroom practice and teaching.
- Providing fair and reasonable circumstances in which the NQT will be able to demonstrate her/his ability to satisfy the induction requirements.
- Providing a period of induction which enables the NQT to take increasing responsibility for her/his professional development and career progression.
- Making adequate resources available to support the induction arrangements.
- Reviewing the effectiveness of the academy’s arrangements for the induction of NQTs
Bespoke Induction Programme
As part of The Focus Trust Induction policy (click here for link to policy) all NQTs within our academies participate in an induction programme based at the Focus-Trust head office and in academies. NQTs from within the Trust will meet on these days and establish effective networks and share best practice.
The expectation is that by the end of the initial year each NQT will be “Good’’ or better. The 7 day programme for NQTs is spread over the year, with support for the Induction Tutors, to ensure this first vital year has maximum impact for all concerned.
To read what some of our NQTs says about working for the Focus-Trust click here
For further details about applying to be a Newly Qualified Teacher in any of our academies please contact Donna Tandy at email@example.com